Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tour Day

Well, we've been here all of one day and Tony and I are wore smack out! We arrived late on Friday night and just finished a super full Saturday. We had planned on going to dinner with one of the couples we met today but just can't seem to make it! So, I will just blog and then sleep! You know, we get Lynleigh tomorrow! Were those pics not just the cutest thing? That's pretty much all I've thought about today!!!

So, the day started off with a trip to Tiananmen Square. It's pretty amazing once you get there. This is one of the buildings you can see from the square.


The signs here are pretty amusing! I couldn't resist putting this on up...Scott and Nick...I might buy one of these for your wives to have at the house!

Here we are in the square. I would love to tell you some amazing stuff about it but 1. I'm too tired to remember, and 2. I was creeped out by all the people taking pictures of the "Americans" and coming up beside us to get a closer look!




Just on the edge of the square is the entrance to the Forbidden City. I do remember somethings about this! (They said there would be a test at the end but I fell asleep on the bus and must have missed it!) First, you should know that if you want to cross the street to get to it...you do that underground!

Then, you herd yourself in like cattle and you'd better go or you'll get lost from the group!

Some facts that I remember: It was built in the 1400's and only took three years to complete. There are more than 8000 rooms inside the city. Before the end of the Empire, common folk weren't allowed inside the city which is why it's "forbidden"! But now it's just a museum!


This is one of the Empiror's rooms but I can't remember which one since he had so many!

He did have an English teacher that he built this house for! I need to find a gig like that for sure!



After walking what seemed like 10 miles into this "city" we visited the silk factory and then came back to the hotel! We had an amazing day but are completely exhausted. It will be an early night for us so that we are well rested for Miss Thang tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are able to post, Tobie! I'm loving being able to stay in touch of sorts! :) I can't WAIT to see pics of your first meeting with Lynleigh!

    ReplyDelete